Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Will Marissa Mayer Redefine Work Life Balance and be the New Role Model for Working Moms?

Less than a month after The Atlantic Magazine published Anne-Marie Slaughter's controversial cover story "Why Women Still Can't Have It All,  Yahoo hired Marissa Mayer, a pr
egnant 37 year old, as its new CEO.

Mayer told Fortune magazine, "I like to stay in the rhythm of things... My maternity leave will be a few weeks long and I'll work throughout it."
Will she regret these words? Will the birth of her first child, a boy, slow her down from the 90 hour work weeks she is famous for thriving on?

Will she, like former Sara Lee Chairperson and CEO (and PepsiCo executive) Brenda Barnes regret working round the clock when her children w
ere growing up, and take a multi-year hiatus to spend the last few years before her kids leave the nest?

Or will she, like many other women executives with children, including Sheryl Sandberg, just keep marching on while normal working women like me wonder how they do it? Will Maris
sa Mayer debunk Anne-Marie Slaughter's premise?

Anne-Marie Slaughter, and Brenda Barnes are perhaps women I most identify and look up to, based on my own personal choice to stay at home with my kids and shape my work around their schedules. Another hotshot woman executive will perhaps not dramatically change how I feel about my children and my decision to stay/work at home for the time being. From my experience, I will not be comfortable delegating some of my child-rearing, as these leading women executives most certainly need to.




Yet my grandmother was a working mother, and mom turned out OK! Goes to show how every woman is different, and each successful as a mother.

Suggested reading (my Yahoo Finance article): Finding Work Life Balance After Kids

Image: Freedigitalphotos.net

3 comments:

  1. No. Women, and men for that matter, can't have it all. Our work culture in this country puts family second. Her becoming CEO while pregnant doesn't mean she is an example of how women can actually have it all because if she is going to be an involved mom she won't last long as ceo. Same goes fot a man...it is just more acceptable in pur society for men to be the workaholic and be the ones missing the ballgame etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, if things keep going the way they are at Yahoo!, she won't be there long enough to have to worry about a work/life balance;) Maybe she'll be the one to fix things there, but I'm not counting on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?

    Plz respond as I'm looking to construct my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. cheers
    Also see my web site > Best Penny Stocks

    ReplyDelete